Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Door Decor for the 4th

We just moved into our new house a little less than a month ago and I wanted to add a little something to our front door for the 4th!


I decided to use our last initial as the base for one simple reason-it was the largest wood "thing" I could find at Hobby Lobby that wasn't completely out there for my 4th of July theme.  I really want a jigsaw so I can cut my own wood but the hubs thinks I'm being ridiculous.
Since then I've found a website that will cut wood in many shapes and your choice of thicknesses and sizes.  Stoked for my August door decor!

So back to my patriotic B.  This was such an easy project that I was able to do most of it during my twins' nap time.

Here's what you need:

Any wood shape
Mod Podge (apparently I suck at getting all of my supplies in the same photo!)
Glitter spray or glitter
Red white and blue acrylic paint
Red white and blue ribbon in various widths
Glue gun
Wooden stars
Painter's tape
Blue sparkly stuff (I found the spool in the floral section-it comes in so many colors)
Floral wire-I found some wrapped in whtite but I could have also used jewelry wire

I don't have pics of the process because I didn't exactly realize I'd be starting a blog with my best friend!

But essentially, here's what I did.
1.  I laid the painters tape vertically so I could paint the left side of the B blue-2 coats
2.  Once it dried, I covered it with painters tape and then laid painters tape horizontally to paint my white stripes.  I started with white so if I went out of the lines too much, the red would easily cover it.  I didn't measure, just taped and painted.
3.  I also painted the little wood stars white.
4.  I spray painted the whole thing with Krylon glitter spray and then painted over that with Mod Podge.  Another option would be to paint Mod Podge on, sprinkle glitter, and once dry, mod podge again.  Might give a more sparkly end effect.
5.  Once everything dried, I twisted my floral wire around a pencil to get that nice spiral shape and hot glued it to the B.  I then hot glued the stars to the wire.


6.  Finally I made the bow and hot glued it all to the corner with a star on top.


To make the bow, I simply layered three bows on top of each other.
I cut a length of ribbon and folded the ends across the center.  Any length is fine as long as they're all relatively the same size.


Then I scrunched the center together and wrapped some floral wire around it to keep it in place.  I did this two more times and stacked the bows on top of each other rotating as I went.


I could have wrapped all three in floral wire once they were stacked but I was lazy and just hot glued them to each other, threw another curly Q floral wire on top and added a wood star.  Under the bow I glued some of that sparkly blue stuff.  I really need to figure out what that stuff is called.


I added a ribbon for it to hang on and Voila!  The hook I used is actually a 5 pound capable Command Hook.  I just stuck it to the door.  I liked it better for this than a wreath hanger.  Although I'm sure I'll need something that can hold more weight soon enough.

And there you have it!  My pretty little patriotic B!


3 comments:

  1. I love the bow tutorial. I am a lame-o when it comes to bows, so thank you for showing me how to make an awesome decorative bow!!

    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Feel a bit inspired! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these this weekend! Thanks to your tutorial they came out adorable! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete